Since writing “Chapter One” and a first sentence, it has been an interesting few days. I settled into keeping the chapters short, ranging from 350 to 750 words each, and wrote the first five. I was pleased.
I revised those chapters until they seemed quite presentable. On to chapters six, seven, and eight. So far so good. The outline was working and my notes were there when I needed them.
Then I reread all eight chapters and the words “train wreck” came to mind. For one thing, I’m beginning to wonder if this is really a chap book at all. The subject may be a bit too complicated and mature for a traditional chapter book. And suddenly the beautiful beginning seemed out of place and out of context.
Parts of chapter eight did a better job of introducing the idea. But only parts of it. When I took what worked from that chapter, filled it out a bit more, and placed it in the beginning, the original chapter one didn’t work as a chapter two.
I felt like I was dismantling a train, pulling out box cars and rehooking them in different sections.
That activity is occupying my thoughts this week. There’s probably enough material in those early chapters. I just need to get them strung together in the best positions.
That’s my report.
One other thing. I’m loving the challenge.