I hope many of you can join us Friday evening at The Library Center on South Campbell in Springfield for “An Evening with Poets.” It will start at 7:00 in Room B.
My co-presenter is Marcus Cafagna, Poet and Professor in the English Department at MSU. Here’s a bit about Marcus.
Selected awards and honors
• Nominee and Finalist, Missouri Poet Laureate, 2010, 2012
• Nominee, Pushcart Prize in Poetry, 9 times
• Named, Notable Missouri Poet, 2008
• Recipient, College of Arts and Letters Research Award, 2001
• Nominee, Ruth Lily Poetry Fellowship, 1997
• Selection of First Book, National Poetry Series, 1995
• Coordinator of the Creative Writing Program
• Teaches poetry
• Creative Writing Program
• Modern American Authors: Contemporary American Poetry
Marcus has invited two of his outstanding poetry students, Ali Geren and Brandon Henry, to join us. We’ve elected to read two poems each in rotation. I’ll go first followed by Marcus, Ali, Brandon, and then back to me. We’ll shoot for an hour but be prepared to extend somewhat if our audience wants us to. We’ll also allow for time to ask questions. Thanks in advance to everyone who can come.
What makes this evening unique is the mixture of poetry written for adults with that written for young readers. It probably isn’t a program that would entertain young children but if you are curious about how and were these two broad genres of poetry sometimes overlap and connect, this is a good opportunity to sit in and find out!