Yesterday I completed the agenda for the 2014 Highlights Poetry Workshop in September at the Barn in Honesdale. This will be posted on the Highlights Foundation Workshop page shortly but I see no reason not to share it now. Sign up if you’re interested. Tell a friend. It’s a great venue and I promise you an experience that you’ll remember.
Date: September 29 – October 2, 2014
Arrive Monday, September 29, at 3:P.M. for a tour of HIGHLIGHTS FOR CHILDREN and Boyds Mills Press. Ends Thursday, October 2, after lunch.
Skype Guests: Kenn Nesbitt, U.S. Children’s Poet Laureate (via Skype) and Jane Yolen Guest Presentation: Rebecca Davis, Poetry Editor-at-Large for Boyds Mills Press/Highlights.
Designed For: From budding poet to published veteran, we learn and teach at every stage. If you like to think, talk, write, and share poetry, this one’s for you.
Maximum Capacity: 15 participants
How we’re organized:
SESSION 1: THE STUDY OF POETRY
SESSION 2: VERSE
SESSION 3: ARE YOU FUNNY?
SESSION 4: SKYPE GUEST KENN NESBITT
SESSION 5: REVISING AND REWRITING
SESSION 6: SKYPE GUEST JANE YOLEN
SESSION 7: PERFORMING YOUR WORK
SESSION 8: TIPS ON MARKETING
SESSION 9: SELF PUBLISHING
SESSION 10: POETRY EDITOR REBECCA DAVIS
SESSION 11: BECOMING AN EXPERT
SESSION 12: OPEN FORUM
SESSION 13: THE BIG PERFORMANCE
SESSION 14: SETTING DOABLE GOALS
WRAP UP, PICTURES, GOODBYES
Individual activities will include time to:
• Practice writing what you’re learning
• Be still with your thoughts
• Start at least three new poems
• Meet one-on-one with your workshop leader
• Have your work critiqued by your workshop leader
• Fun, impromptu gatherings by the fire to share poems
• Chance to learn from others
What you will accomplish:
• Write poems
• Practice fundamental elements of poetry
• Return home excited about the new poems you will write
What we will accomplish:
• Make you a better poet
• Create a community of poets